This is the herpetological version of a White Elephant Auction. The White Snake Sale is the society’s biggest fundraiser annually. We use the proceeds to buy library books, bring in speakers, and make grants and society functions. This is a great way to shop for items at significantly lower than market value, and you never know what treasure you may find.
Items that are sold are donated by members and businesses and can be either new or used. If you have a large number of donations (fifteen or more items), please contact a board member in advance of the sale to arrange processing these in before the meeting. Most items are herp related, but not always. They range from knickknacks, jewelry, cages, books, artwork, toys, and misc. herp supplies.
In 2020 this event will be held during the May meeting. MHS will have other activities during this event, such as the Photo Contest and an Art Auction.
When you arrive
- Bring your donation to the designated area – the room across the hall from the back door. Sale Committee members will be there to receive them. If you wish to be recognized in the newsletter for having donated, please inform the volunteer.
- Take care of membership dues, and return library books after dropping off donations. The library may not be open, but a box for returned books will be out.
- Make sure to pick up your nametag. If you can not find your nametag, please see the Membership Secretary to look up your membership number. You must have your membership number in order to bid.
- Remember: this is the biggest fund raising event for MHS; please give generously.
- Have Fun!
Rules of the Game
- This is a silent auction.
- You must be an active member of the Minnesota Herpetological Society.
- Use your membership number as your bid number.
- Items will be put out in rounds; usually there will be three bidding rounds.
- Each item is numbered and has a matching bid sheet.
- Members will have 10-15 minutes to view the items and write down their bids.
- You can begin the first bid at any increment of $ 0.25 (i. e. $0.50, $0.75, $5.00, $100.00).
- You can bid on items as many times as you wish.
- Bids must be in increased in increments of $ 0.25.
- You must bid higher than the bid before.
- The President will announce the end of bidding and everyone must stop.
- At the end of each bidding period the items and sheets will be collected.
- The member with the highest bid (will be the last bid) will be the buyer of the item.
- At the end of the sale, invoices will be printed.
- When your name is called, please go to the Treasurer and pay for your purchases.
- Committee members will collect your items and give them to you.