Due to restrictions and public health concerns related to novel coronavirus, the MHS Annual Field Survey for 2020 has been canceled. The survey will take place next year June 11 – 13, 2021 at the same location, Great River Bluffs State Park. If you have any questions, please contact the MHS Annual Field Survey chairperson, Jeff LeClere.
2021 MHS Annual Field Survey!!
Where: Great River Bluffs St. Park
When: June 11, 12, 13 2021.
MHS volunteers will not have to pay for the campsite, and work permits will be issued for free for those who do not have a state park sticker for their vehicle. MHS will provide firewood, so please do not bring firewood into the park! Please observe the Survey rules and do not wander off to search on your own! There are sensitive species in this park (not only herps species) and there are areas in this park that park managers have asked us to avoid. Please be respectful and stay with the group.
Some general information about the survey:
The MHS Field Survey is performed in cooperation with the MN DNR. We perform the survey to provide the MN DNR and the park an updated list of amphibians and reptiles occurring within the park.
- You must be a current member of MHS to attend the survey (exceptions must be pre-approved).
- Please follow the rules and guidelines set forth by MHS and the Survey Chair (these are available on the MHS website).
- The survey is open to all MHS members from those with no field experience to seasoned herpers. Experienced herpers can teach those with little or no experience. Typically, this is a group event; please be respectful of others as there will be members with differing levels of field expertise.
- MHS provides firewood, park maps, permits, main meals, snacks, and drinks. Entrance and campsite fees will be furnished by MHS this year.
- Please bring your own clothing and field/camping gear. MHS provides containers for holding specimens, but individuals must bring their own nets, snake hooks, etc.
- Surveys begin Friday evening and usually go until mid day Sunday. Feel free to stay for the entire survey, or attend one day or part of one day. Please sign in when you arrive, and sign out when you leave so we can track your survey hours. Generally, the survey usually begins Friday evening as the sun goes down for calling frogs and/or road cruising. Saturday begins at 9 am with an outing before lunch, lunch around noon, an outing after lunch, dinner around 6, and then evening frogs and/or road cruising. Sunday morning begins at 9 with an outing, but most leave after that to make it back home and prepare for the next week.
- Sign up before attending the survey. Likewise, notifications of cancellations are also encouraged as we try to organize group searches. We don’t want to leave anyone out, but we also don’t want to wait for people who aren’t going to show. Sign up for the survey at the May or June MHS monthly meetings, or by email (contact below).
For more information check out the MHS web site: http://www.mnherpsoc.com/content/research-and-field-trips.html or from the main page, click Events and Meetings, then click Research/Field Trips.
For information about the park: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/park.html?id=spk00244#homepage
Please observe the park rules (found here): http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/rules.html
If you have questions, please contact me at Reptilia74@aol.com.
Hope to see you there!
MHS Field Survey Chair
2018 Field Survey
June 8-10, 2018 — Jay Cooke State Park
2017 Field Survey
June 9-11, 2017 — Blue Mounds State Park
2016 Field Survey
June 10-12, 2016 —Whitewater State Park
2015 Field Survey
June 12-14, 2015 —Beaver Creek State Park
2014 Field Survey
June 13-15, 2014 — Minneopa State Park
2013 Field Survey
June 14-16, 2013 — Glendalough State Park
2012 Field Survey
June 8-10, 2012 — Mille Lacs Kathio State Park
2011 Field Survey
June 10-12, 2011 — Rice Lake State Park
2010 Field Survey
June 11-13, 2010 — Charles A. Lindbergh State Park
2009 Field Survey
June 12-14, 2009 — Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park
2008 Field Survey
June 20-22, 2008 — Afton State Park
2007 Field Surveys
May 19, 2007 — Sand Coulee area about 1 mile south of Hastings
June 8 -10, 2007 — Annual survey at Frontenac State Park.
2006 Field Surveys
June 3, 2006 —- Field herping clinic at the Haig residence in East Bethel, MN. The purpose was to teach MHS members various methods for finding herps in nature. This program was geared for those who have never herped and wished to learn, but was also diverse enough for anyone with more experience.
June 10, 2006 — The annual MHS Field Survey for 2006 was held in Sibley State Park. It was a weekend long event with the goal to document new county records and submit an annual report to the MN DNR.
[singlepic id=251 w= h= float=none]MHS members take photos of a wood frog (Lithobates sylvaticus)
found on a field trip to Lake Maria State Park in 2001.